Training in Western Australia

Whether you’re still at school and considering your options, looking for the right course or training provider, seeking recognition for skills and experience you already have, considering an apprenticeship or traineeship, or wanting to study in Western Australia, we can help.

In today’s competitive job market, it’s important to have the right skills and qualifications. Training gives you practical skills which employers are looking for, giving you a greater competitive edge over others.


The Department's role

The Department of Training and Workforce Development is the government agency responsible for managing vocational education and training in Western Australia. We do this by:

  • managing public resources in the State vocational education and training system;
  • planning, funding and monitoring publicly funded training;
  • administering the apprenticeship and traineeship system in Western Australia through our Apprenticeship Office;
  • coordinating and implementing professional development across the training system; and
  • providing advice on curriculum.

Key reforms recently implemented by the Department include:

Did you know...

In the period 2015–2016:

  • the Department funded over 130 000 enrolments in vocational education and training, including over 38 000 apprentices and trainees, across almost 300 public and private registered training organisations, and

  • over 88% of graduates achieved employment after completing their VET course.


Vocational education and training

The vocational education and training  sector is important to Western Australia's economy for the development of the State's workforce. It enables students to gain qualifications for all types of employment, and specific skills to help them in the workplace.

Providers of VET include TAFE colleges, private providers, community organisations, industry skill centres, and enterprise training providers working together.

Jobs and Skills WA

As our economy grows and diversifies, the future outlook for jobs is constantly changing. Jobs and Skills WA is the way the State Government, through the Department, prioritises its investment in training to focus on courses that help people to take up jobs that are, or will be, in high demand. Priorities include apprenticeships, traineeships and priority industry qualifications, but many other important industry qualifications and courses are also subsidised under Jobs and Skills WA including general industry training courses and foundation skills and equity courses.

To find out more about Jobs and Skills WA, and what courses are subsidised, take a look at the information available here.


VET courses

VET courses in Western Australia are focused on the development of skills and knowledge that are based on business and industry needs.

VET is generally very practical in nature – focusing on ‘how to’. This means you’re job-ready once your course is completed, with the valuable hands-on experience that employers look for.

VET courses provide nationally recognised qualifications from entry-level through to Graduate Diploma, offering something for everyone.

Apprenticeships and traineeships provide opportunities to earn while you learn in industry areas such as building and construction, information technology, hospitality and business.


Quality for VET

Australian Skills Quality Authority

ASQA is the national regulator for Australia’s VET sector. It seeks to make sure that quality standards are maintained through the regulation of training providers and accredited courses.

Visit the ASQA website to find out more

Training Accreditation Council

TAC is the State regulator for the VET sector in WA. It registers training providers in accordance with required national standards, and accredits VET courses.

Visit the TAC website to find out more


Choosing a training course

Training gives you practical skills that employers are looking for, giving you a greater competitive edge over others who don’t have a qualification.

There’s a huge range of training on offer from TAFE colleges and private training providers; with everything from the traditional trades such as building and construction or electrical, to the creative arts and design, through to  education, fitness or health, and high-tech training in areas like computing, information technology and engineering.


What sort of training do you have in mind?

Are you looking for a starter course to give you some basic skills and knowledge, an entry-level certificate course to help get your foot in the door for your dream job, or a higher-level qualification like a Certificate IV or Diploma to start or further your career in a specialist area? Or maybe you want to work towards a trade qualification through a pre-apprenticeship or start an apprenticeship or traineeship, so that you can combine study with work. The following information should help you work out what kind of training matches your needs.

How do VET courses work?

In vocational education and training, a course is made up of a number of units of competency that together make up a qualification. Each unit of competency focuses on the skills required for an occupation – for example, in a retail course there would be a unit on operating point of sale equipment, and in an automotive course there would be a unit on inspecting an engine.

Units of competency and VET courses are developed by working closely with industry to make sure they’re based on occupational requirements – this means your VET course will give you the combination of skills, knowledge and practical abilities that you need for a particular job or occupation. Because of this, to be awarded your qualification, you will be assessed on your demonstrated abilities – where you get to show what you know, and that you can do something to the standard required – rather than on knowledge only, as with a traditional exam.

What study options are available?

Most courses for VET qualifications are available in either full time or part time options, depending on the training provider. You will need to consider how much time you can allocate and commit to your study and how it will best fit into your lifestyle. The following options are available through all WA TAFEs, and many other training providers.

Full time studies

Full time study is usually the most efficient way to get a qualification. Generally a full time course means that you will be attending training four or five days per week, or around 20–25 hours per week. Most full time courses at WA TAFE colleges require an application process, as places may be competitive and/or the course may have entry requirements. You can find out more about this in How to apply and enrol.

Part time studies

Studying part time gives you the flexibility to keep a part time job or manage your other commitments. Depending on the training provider, part time may mean attending training one or two days a week or perhaps one day and one evening per week. Not all training providers offer part time studies as an option for some courses.

Online study

Studying online can give you the flexibility to learn when and where suits you; however most online courses will still follow a schedule and require you to commit time each week. Not all training providers offer online study, and it may not be available for all courses, but those who do will be able to tell you more about how this works and whether it suits your circumstances.

Pre-apprenticeship programs

A pre-apprenticeship is a Certificate II program that includes a mandatory period of workplace experience coordinated by the training provider. The aim is to provide you with industry specific training, combined with adequate time in a real workplace to gain skills, knowledge and behaviours to enable transition into a full apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

These are a combination of work and study, where you are employed either full time or part time and work just as any other employee would, except that while you’re working you are also completing a qualification. This may involve attending training one day a fortnight, attending a two-week block of training twice a year, on-the-job training by your employer, or a combination of all these.

Short courses and community learning

These courses are generally only a few weeks or months in duration, and they do not result in a qualification. They’re great if you want to do a quick course to improve your skills in a particular area – for example; learning a new software program, learning how to tile your kitchen, develop your skills in photography or music or even learning a new language. Classes for short courses are usually run once or twice per week, often in the evening.

How do qualifications work?

There are eight levels of qualification in the VET system. In general terms, Certificates I and II offer skills and knowledge to get you started in an entry-level job, Certificates III and IV and Diploma levels are for more specialised jobs such as those in the trades or technology areas, and Advanced Diploma to Graduate Diploma levels offer a more complex and higher level of skills and knowledge.

The Australian Qualifications Framework is the national policy for regulated qualifications in the Australian education and training system. It provides the framework for qualifications in the school, vocational education and training and higher education sectors in Australia, enabling students to start at the level that suits them, then build up their qualifications as their needs and interests develop and change over time. You can achieve an AQF qualification in several different ways and from many different types of training and education providers.

The AQF ensures that all accredited VET qualifications are delivered and assessed using a consistent framework of skills and knowledge that mean your qualification is recognised around Australia and internationally.

Visit the AQF website to find out more about the AQF qualification levels.


Course search

Once you have decided on the study area you’re interested in, or the course you would like to do, your next step is to find out what study options are available, whether you're required to apply, what fees are involved, and which training providers offer it. You can also choose from courses that are subsidised under Jobs and Skills WA. Once you have decided on the study area you’re interested in, or the course you would like to do, your next step is to find out what study options are available, whether you're required to apply, what fees are involved, and which training providers offer it.

To find out more about what your local TAFE can offer, check out their website via the following links.

nmtafe_smaller2.jpg nrtafe_smaller2.jpg crtafe_smaller2.jpg srtafe_smaller2.jpg smtafe_smaller2.jpg

Full time courses at a WA TAFE college

Search our online Full time studies guide for full time courses at TAFE and find out how to apply.

Search for a course at a private training provider

Visit the myskills website to search for courses available from private training providers.




Help from the Career Centres

Career Centres can offer advice and assistance to help you choose the right training course. You’ll find a lot of useful information on their website, or you can visit one of the Career Centres in person.

Find a Career Centre near you.


Still at school?

If you’re currently a school student, you have the opportunity to study a nationally recognised vocational education and training qualification while still at school.

VET programs:

  • develop your employability skills (for example; communication and problem solving skills);
  • give you industry specific skills and an understanding of the world of work; and
  • help you to explore and plan your career options.

If you do a VET qualification while you are a full time secondary student, this may also count towards your Western Australian Certificate of Education.


What can I study?

There are a range of VET courses available for secondary students, and your school will have different qualifications to choose from. If you want to see what qualifications are recommended by industry for school students, take a look at the VET qualifications register for secondary students.

There are three specific VET programs funded by the Department for secondary students.

  • Aboriginal school-based training program

    The Aboriginal school-based training program is for Aboriginal students in years 10, 11 and 12. The ASBT program aims to help Aboriginal students gain the skills to keep studying after school or get a job.

    For more information, please read this ASBT fact sheet for students. (updated Dec 2017)

  • Pre-apprenticeships in schools

    Pre-apprenticeships in schools are Certificate II qualifications that can lead to a related apprenticeship. In a PAiS program you will attend school, train at an RTO, and undertake a work placement.

    This Pre-apprenticeships in schools fact sheet for students contains useful information.

  • School-based apprenticeships and traineeships

    School-based apprenticeships and traineeships are paid employment-based training programs for full time school students who are generally 15 years of age and over. In a SBA or SBT you will be a full time student and a part time employee with the same employment and training conditions and responsibilities as other apprentices/trainees.

    For more information, please see the School-based apprenticeships and traineeships fact sheet for students.


Who provides the training?

​VET can be provided by a registered training organisation,  TAFE College or private training organisation, an RTO school, or a school in partnership with an RTO.

The training may be provided at your school, off-site at another training provider or in a workplace. Some VET programs use a combination of these training options.


Need more information?

Your school career advisor or VET coordinator can help you decide which VET option is best suited for you.

You can also visit the School Curriculum and Standards Authority website if you would like to know more about how VET contributes to your WACE.


Apprenticeships and traineeships

Apprenticeships and traineeships are an excellent way to combine training with work, enabling you to have a job while you complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. They are available to anyone of working age. You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult worker simply wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school in years 11 and 12.

When you finish your apprenticeship or traineeship you will have a nationally recognised qualification that's held in high regard in many overseas countries as well.

Did you know...
In 2016 over 25,000 new apprenticeships and traineeships were registered, and more than 1,200 new employers offered an apprenticeship or traineeship for the first time.

How do I get an apprenticeship or traineeship?

Apprenticeships and traineeships are available in a variety of qualification levels in more than 500 occupations across Australia. They are available for traditional trades such as electrical, building, automotive, hairdressing, tourism and hospitality, as well as a diverse range of emerging careers in most sectors of business and industry; including agriculture, information technology, engineering, telecommunications and property services.

Step 1 – Find a career path that suits you.

Check out the Career development section of our website, or talk to the Career Centre about finding an occupation and career path that will give you the future you’d like.

The Career Centre website can help you decide what sort of work or career would suit you, and can help with information about whether an apprenticeship or traineeship is the right path for your career.

You could also look at the Try it For Five and occupational videos on the Career Centre’s YouTube channel to find out more about different jobs and what they involve.

Step 2 – Talk to an AASN provider or employer.

There are a number of Australian Apprenticeship Support Network providers funded by the Commonwealth Government. These AASNs can provide advice and assistance to help you find an apprenticeship or traineeship and are connected to employers looking for apprentices or trainees. Once you’ve found an apprenticeship or traineeship, your AASN will organise everything to get you started.

Alternatively, you can go out and find an employer yourself – either by looking through job ads, or contacting employers directly to see if they have any opportunities available. Once you’ve found an apprenticeship or traineeship, the employer can contact an AASN provider to get things started.




A pre-apprenticeship is a Certificate II program that includes a mandatory period of workplace experience coordinated by the training provider. The aim is to provide students with industry specific training, combined with adequate time in a real workplace to gain skills, knowledge and behaviours to enable transition into an indentured apprenticeship.

The Department provides Western Australia's pre-apprenticeship programs to prepare students and make them more competitive when applying for an apprenticeship.

There are many pre-apprenticeship courses​ on offer at registered training organisations  across the State. You can see the list of pre-apprenticeship courses for 2018 here.


Group training organisations

GTOs employ apprentices and trainees under a training contract and place them with host employers for completion of the apprenticeship/traineeship.

If you are employed with a GTO you may be hosted by more than one employer over the duration of your apprenticeship or traineeship. This can be a great way of getting a variety of workplace experiences.

There's currently a number of GTOs operating in Western Australia, with some operating in more than one region, and together they had almost 2 000 apprenticeship and traineeship commencements in the 2015 to 2016 period.

The goals of group training are to:

  • create additional apprenticeship and traineeship employment opportunities that otherwise might not have existed;
  • provide for continuity of employment of apprentices and trainees through to the completion of their training contract; and
  • improve the quality and breadth of training available to apprentices and trainees, particularly in small and medium sized businesses.

To find out more about what group training can offer, view the list of GTOs in WA and contact those that match with your area of interest for training.


Choosing a training provider

If you have already decided what area of study you want to pursue, your next step is to find a training provider that offers the course or qualification you’re interested in.

There are over 500 registered training providers across Western Australia, and together they offer more than 1 000 nationally recognised VET courses and qualifications, and access to a range of traineeships and apprenticeships.


Registered training providers

If you’ve chosen an accredited vocational education and training course, look for a training provider that’s registered by the WA Training Accreditation Council or the Australian Skills Quality Authority.

This means they are registered to deliver VET training that:

  • is recognised by all registered training providers throughout Australia;
  • is part of a training package or accredited course that has been developed to meet the needs of a particular industry; and
  • results in a qualification that is part of the Australian Qualifications Framework.

Often you will find that a course is offered by more than one training provider. In these cases, you’ll need to look at what each provider offers and choose the one that you feel can offer you the best quality training, with experienced trainers and good facilities.

To find out more about the important things to look for when choosing a training provider, check out this useful information from ASQA. It includes a checklist that you can use to help with your choice.


WA TAFE colleges

Key changes have been made to Western Australia's TAFE system, which is now delivering new choices to students, industry and the community. A network of five WA TAFE colleges has been established, with 70 campus locations and specialist training centres located across Perth and all regional areas from Albany in the south, to Kalgoorlie in the east and Kununurra in the north. Together, these TAFEs offer over 900 VET qualifications covering a diverse range of industry areas and occupations with courses available full time, part time, on campus or online.

To find out more about what your local TAFE can offer, check out their website via the following links.

nmtafe_smaller2.jpg nrtafe_smaller2.jpg crtafe_smaller2.jpg srtafe_smaller2.jpg smtafe_smaller2.jpg

Read Changes to the WA TAFE colleges to find out more.



Private training providers

There are a number of private training providers registered to deliver nationally recognised qualifications to the Western Australian community, and a large number of these private providers offer courses that are subsidised by the Department under Jobs and Skills WA. Private providers also offer a wide range of courses on a full-fee paying basis.

Private providers can offer very flexible delivery strategies, and niche programs designed for their specific industry partners. They can also offer training and support programs designed specially for disadvantaged groups.


How to apply and enrol

Once you have decided on the course you want to do, and found a training provider that you’re happy with, the next step is to enrol in your course.

It’s a good idea to contact the training provider directly or check their website for any eligibility requirements you need to meet, and get the dates and other details for enrolling. Each of the TAFE colleges provides this information on their website, as do most private training providers.


Full time courses at WA TAFE colleges

If you're interested in studying full time at TAFE, you can find out what courses are available on our online Full time studies guide.  You can also find out the entry requirements for courses, along with information such as additional selection criteria for courses which have limited places.

The guide also provides a link to TAFE Admissions where you can apply for your course online.



The Unique Student Identifier

usi.jpgAll students are required to have a USI, and you will need to have yours organised before you can enrol. Getting a USI is easy – just follow the six steps.

For more information about the USI and why it’s required, please visit the USI website.

  • STEP 1: Get at least one form of ID ready, eg your driver's license, Australian passport, Medicare card, birth certificate, visa (for non-Australian passport), Immigration Card or Citizenship Certificate.
  • STEP 2: Have your personal contact details ready; you’ll need address, email and/or phone number.
  • STEP 3: Visit and select Create a USI.
  • STEP 4: Agree to the terms and conditions and follow the steps on screen.
  • STEP 5: Write your new USI number down and keep it somewhere safe.
  • STEP 6: Have your USI number with you when you enrol.

Fees and costs

The WA State Government, through the Department, funds a significant share of the vocational education and training delivered in Western Australia. Training providers delivering this publicly funded training must follow the Department’s VET fees and charges policy which sets out the fees that apply to your course – your training provider will be able to give you information about the fees for your particular course.

Subsidised training

Through Jobs and Skills WA, some courses are subsidised by the Government of Western Australia creating opportunities for people to gain valuable skills and qualifications that secure jobs and build successful careers.

You can find out more about  Jobs and Skills WA here.



Types of fees

There are three types of fees that training providers can charge; course fees, resource fees and other fees.

  • Course fees

    Course fees are determined by multiplying the applicable course fee rate by the nominal hours for each unit in the course that you enrol in.

  • Resource fees

    Resource fees are charges for materials that are considered essential to a course or unit of study, but are not part of the course fee. The resource fee(s) cover items purchased by the training provider that you need to use for your course; such as workshop materials, workbooks and essential uniforms.

  • Other fees

    Training providers may charge students other fees for items that are non-essential to the course; for example, car parking or a security pass.

    These fees will vary, and in some cases will not apply.


Help with fees

There are several ways you may be able to get assistance with your course fees.

VET Student Loans

Eligible students can apply to get a loan to pay for their fees through the Commonwealth Government’s VET Student Loans scheme. The loan is to cover fees for eligible Government subsidised courses at the Diploma or Advanced Diploma level. Under this scheme, once you’re employed and your income exceeds a set level, you start repaying the loan through the tax system.

For more information contact your training provider, visit the Commonwealth Government's VET Student Loans website or contact the student hotline on 1800 020 108.

Concession rates

The following students are eligible for a concession rate on fees for training up to Certificate IV level:

  • holders (and their dependants) of either a pensioner concession, repatriation health benefits or health care card;
  • recipients (and their dependants) of AUSTUDY, ABSTUDY or Youth Allowance;
  • inmates of a custodial institution (and their dependants); and
  • in 2018, students born on or after 1 July 2000 who are at least 15 years of age.

The concession rate does not apply to foundation skills and equity courses, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses (except where specified), and existing worker trainees.

Training provider help

If you are unable to pay your course fees up front, you may be able to work out a payment plan with your training provider so that you can pay by instalments.

In circumstances where a student is experiencing severe financial difficulties, a training provider can choose to waive the course fees.

You’ll need to talk to your training provider about these options.

Financial assistance for apprentices

Apprentices in certain trades may be eligible for financial assistance such as allowances for the cost of tools, incentives for wage top-ups and allowances for living away from home. Travel and accommodation allowances may also be available to lessen the cost of the training component of your apprenticeship.

Your Australian Apprenticeship Services Network provider will be able to provide you with assistance, or visit the AASN website for more information.


International students

TAFE International Western Australia is the Western Australian government service that provides a gateway for international students wishing to study at a WA TAFE. All international students applying to study at a Western Australian TAFE college must apply through TIWA.

TIWA also manages the placement and fee collection of overseas students into public schools, in line with the Department of Education's requirements.

tiwalogo.pngTo find out more about TIWA’s services, please visit the TIWA website or you can come in and see us at our Perth office in Forrest Place.

Our contact details can be found on our website.


Training pathways

Vocational education and training is a great pathway on to other things – whether that’s your first job or a change in career, or maybe a higher level qualification or getting into university. The training pathway you choose will depend on your current situation, the goals you want to achieve, and the type of qualification you are doing.

Pathways to university

Completing a VET qualification can move you towards a higher level qualification or getting into university, where entry to some courses can be very competitive. A training pathway through VET may also reduce your study load and/or the length of your university course, and minimise your HECS debt. Some VET qualifications, particularly those at Advanced Diploma to Graduate Diploma levels, may make you eligible for advanced standing or course credit.

Your training provider will be able to tell you more about how university pathways work and whether your chosen VET course is suitable. You should also look for information on the university websites to see what the eligibility requirements are, as each university will have different guidelines depending on the course and/or study area you’re interested in.

Curtin University Edith Cowan University


        Murdoch University The University of Notre Dame


The University of Western Australia


Pathways through recognition of prior learning

Sometimes it can be difficult to prove your skills, experience and abilities to potential employers. Depending on your background, you may be able to have your skills recognised through recognition of prior learning.

RPL may help you complete a nationally accredited VET qualification sooner, which can boost your resumé, open doors for new employment opportunities or lead you to further training.

RPL involves an assessment process that looks at:

  • any previous study you’ve done;
  • the work experience you have;
  • your life experiences; and
  • your skills and knowledge.


Training providers offer an RPL option for a range of qualifications.

For more information, speak to a training provider.

You can also read this RPL fact sheet.


Pathways through recognition for overseas qualifications

If you have qualifications and skills  obtained overseas you may be able to have them recognised in Australia. Our team at Migration Services has a specialist team in the Overseas Qualifications Unit that can assist migrants who are permanent* or temporary residents of Western Australia with recognition of their overseas gained qualifications and skills.

The OQU can assess post-secondary qualifications including:(HR-RGB)-Migration_Services_0.jpg

  • formal technical and vocational qualifications (Certificate IV and above); and
  • formal higher education qualifications (bachelor degree and above).

This is a free service available only to Western Australian residents.

To find out more about recognition of overseas qualifications, visit the Migration portal.

*Permanent Residents (including 309, 310, 820 and 826 visa holders)


Learning support and assistance (Participation program)

The Department funds a range of support services for students through its Participation program courses. Registered training providers who are approved to deliver courses in this program may offer support and services such as mentoring, counselling, assistance with meals, transport, child care, language and literacy to help people access and attend training. The program also assists with support for job seeking, resumé writing and work experience for eligible students.

We have invited selected Government and community organisations, which assist people in a range of life or work issues, to be participation referral agents to help us promote this training. A referral from an agent will assist students in getting access to additional support. Students can self-nominate if they meet the eligibility requirements.

During 2015–2016, over 5 900 people in WA were supported through the Participation program.

Please read the following information to find out whether you may be eligible for services under the Participation program, see the available courses that offer this support and what you need to do to get started.


Eligibility requirements

  • Unemployed jobseekers, Newstart or Youth Allowance card holders

    If you hold a Newstart or Youth Allowance card and are unemployed you may be eligible for support to help you access training. This may include:

    • mentoring and counselling;
    • assistance with language and literacy;
    • provision of meals;
    • assistance with transport and child care; and
    • help with resumé writing and job placement.

    To access this support, contact the training provider listed for the course you’re interested in, or you can contact your local Job Active provider, or contact a participation referral agent who can provide a referral.


  • People with disability

    If you have a disability you may be eligible for support to help you access training. This may include:

    • mentoring and counselling;
    • assistance with language and literacy;
    • provision of meals;
    • assistance with transport and child care; and
    • special equipment or facilities.

    To be eligible, you must have evidence from Centrelink for being in receipt of a disability support pension or sickness allowance, or have a referral from a participation referral agent for people with disability.

    To access this support, contact the training provider listed for the course you’re interested in, or you can contact a participation referral agent who can provide a referral.

  • Aboriginal people

    If you are an Aboriginal person, you may be eligible for support to help you access training. This may include:

    • mentoring and counselling;
    • assistance with language and literacy;
    • provision of meals; and
    • assistance with transport and child care.

    To be eligible you must be an Aboriginal person, as recognised by:

    • descent, that is, the individual can prove that a parent is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent;
    • self-identification, that is, the individual identifies as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander; or
    • community recognition, that is, the individual is accepted as such by the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community in which he/she lives.

    You may also be eligible if you have referral from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander broker.

    To access this support, contact the training provider listed for the course you’re interested in, or you can contact a participation referral agent such as the Aboriginal Workforce Development Centre who can provide a referral.

  • Culturally and linguistically diverse people

    If you are from a CaLD background*, you may be eligible for support to help you access training. This may include:

    • mentoring and counselling;
    • assistance with language and literacy;
    • provision of meals;
    • assistance with transport and child care; and
    • assistance with translation and language.

    To be eligible, you must be born overseas** and hold the following documentation that may include but is not limited to:

    • a humanitarian visa;
    • other documentation showing you originated from a country defined as CaLD such as a passport, travel documents or a birth certificate; or
    • a referral from a participation referral agent for CaLD people.

    To access this support, contact the training provider listed for the course you’re interested in, or you can contact a participation referral agent who can provide a referral.

    *Refers to groups and individuals who differ according to religion, race, language and ethnicity except those whose ancestry is Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Celtic, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
    **The CaLD definition excludes those born in the following countries; Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, South Africa, the United States and Wales.

  • Unemployed young people aged 15–24 years (Youth at Risk)

    If you are aged 15 to 24 and are unemployed or under employed, you may be eligible for support to help you access training. This may include:

    • mentoring and counselling;
    • assistance with language and literacy;
    • assistance with meals; and
    • assistance with transport and child care.

    To be eligible, you must be aged 15 to 24, not engaged in education or full time employment or training and have a referral from a Youth at Risk broker. For school aged students, only those with an Exemption or full time Notice of Arrangements are eligible.

    To access this support, contact the training provider listed for the course you’re interested in, or you can contact a participation referral agent who can provide a referral.


Foundation skills and equity courses

The State Government is committed to supporting students of all ages and backgrounds to develop language, communication, literacy and numeracy skills that will help to build confidence and improve their ability to be successful in both study and employment. This support is provided through two key strategies:

  • foundation skills courses that focus on language, literacy and numeracy, and employability skills such as teamwork, problem solving, self-management, digital literacy and using technology – all key skills requirements for success in both training and the workplace; and
  • equity courses that support people with disability and people seeking courses that are aligned with their culture; for example, a qualification specialising in Indigenous Australian tourism.

Through Jobs and Skills WA, these courses are subsidised by the State Government so that you pay only a small fee.

Our Jobs and Skills WA page has more information on foundation skills and equity courses, including a list of the courses that are available.


Priority foundation skills courses

There are two fee-free priority foundation skills courses – the Course in Applied Vocational Study Skills and the Course in Underpinning Skills for Industry Qualifications.

These courses do not result in a separate qualification, rather they provide support to students who need additional assistance to successfully complete their vocational qualification and develop the skills needed for the workplace.

Course in Applied Vocational Study Skills

CAVSS provides additional support to build literacy and numeracy skills as part of a vocational training program. Through CAVSS support, students revise and develop their mathematics, reading, writing and communication skills.  Students learn to make the connection between these skills, and where and how to apply them to vocational training and workplace situations.

Course in Underpinning Skills for Industry Qualifications

The USIQ course provides additional time and specialised teaching to groups of students who do not yet have the knowledge and skills needed to successfully complete their vocational qualification and participate effectively in the workplace. The course helps students to develop, consolidate and apply a range of social, communication, mathematical, technological, cultural and problem-solving skills.

Further information

If you feel you may be eligible for these courses, please speak to your registered training provider for more information prior to enrolling in a vocational qualification, as not all providers are approved to deliver these priority foundation skills courses.



Awards and competitions

WA Training Awards

The WA Training Awards recognise and reward outstanding achievements of apprentices, trainees and vocational students, and the contribution to training made by trainers, training organisations and employers.

To find out more about how you could win a share in more than $80 000 in cash and prizes and the chance to represent WA at the Australian Training Awards, please visit the WA Training Awards website.


WorldSkills WA

WorldSkills competitions aim to develop and nurture the skills of young Australians aged 23 and under. Their purpose is to promote and build a skills culture by inspiring young people, celebrating skills excellence and providing them with an opportunity to showcase their trade and skill talent.

In WA, competitions are held across five regions in over 40 skills areas, including VET in Schools, and winners may progress to national and international level.

To find out more, please visit the WorldSkills WA web page.



The Department provides and/or supports scholarship programs that provide opportunities for people to engage with vocational education and training.

Information and updates about available programs will be available here.


Autism Academy for Software Quality Assurance student pilot scholarships program

The ability displayed by a number of individuals with autism for extreme attention to detail, appreciation of predictability and capacity to focus is valuable to the ICT industry, particularly for software and quality assurance testers.

The Autism Academy for Software Quality Assurance, the Autism Association of Western Australia and the Department of Training and Workforce Development are working together to pilot a scholarship program to harness the unique skills of people on the Autism spectrum or with related conditions. The pilot commenced in 2016, and is now being extended to another program for 2017.

Up to $5 000 per recipient, funded by the Department, is available to cover the fees of eligible students to study IT, programming or software development courses.

Applications for the 2017 program have now closed. You can view the application form here

Expanding career options for women 2018

Applications for the 2018 scholarship round are now closed. 

The Expanding career options for women scholarship program is a joint initiative of the Department of Local Government and Communities, the Construction Training Fund and the Department of Training and Workforce Development. Over a period of four years 400 scholarships in a variety of industry areas will be offered to eligible women in metropolitan and regional areas. Women and employers of women are encouraged to apply.

Scholarships of up to $3 000 are available for women who are planning to take up training in non-traditional industries where women currently make up less than 25% of the total workforce.

Scholarships can help with the costs associated with training, including:

  • student fees; 
  • learning resources, and tools and equipment; 
  • mentoring and coaching;
  • accommodation and transport; and 
  • childcare fees.

There are more than 240 qualifications to choose from, starting at Certificate II level. View the list of qualifications for the 2018 program.


2018 scholarships explained

Scholarships are available to women and employers of women. $1 000 will be available for women planning to undertake an approved apprenticeship or traineeship and their employer will receive a $2 000 incentive payment. $3 000 will be available for women planning to undertake a training course (that is not an apprenticeship or traineeship).

A scholarship is not a guarantee of a training place.  You will still need to apply to undertake your qualification at an approved registered training provider. You need to enrol and start your training in 2018. If you are intending to do an apprenticeship or traineeship qualification, you will need to secure an offer of an apprenticeship or traineeship with an employer.

Frequently asked questions

Eligible qualifications list

Approved training provider list



To apply for an individual scholarship you must be:

  • a woman who will have left school by 1 January 2018; and
  • a Western Australian resident and either:
  • an Australian citizen;
  • permanent resident or holder of Visa subclass 309, 820, or 826; or
  • a dependent or spouse of the primary holder of a visa subclass 457;

If you are already receiving another scholarship for your course of study, or have previously claimed a payment under the Expanding Career Options for Women program then you are not eligible to apply.


Employers applying for $2 000 incentive payment must be planning to enter into a training contract, with a female apprentice/trainee in 2018, in an eligible qualification.

Applying and claiming your scholarship

If you need guidance on choosing the right training options, or help with planning your career, visit the Career Centre website or telephone 13 64 64.

1 Apply for the scholarship

Select a qualification and a training provider from the lists. Register your interest and we will send you the link to the application form when applications open. (Applications closed on 31 October 2017 for 2018 scholarships.) You will be notified of the outcome of your application by the Department of Training and Workforce Development in December 2017.  If you are successful you will receive a scholarship claim form.

2 Apply and enrol into a course / commence an apprenticeship or traineeship 

If you are awarded an institutional scholarship, apply to an approved training provider for a place on your selected course and follow their instructions to enrol.

If you are an individual awarded an apprenticeship or traineeship scholarship, find an employer who will employ you in 2018 as an apprentice or trainee.

If you are an employer awarded an apprenticeship or traineeship scholarship, recruit and employ an eligible woman in 2018 in the apprenticeship or traineeship.

3 Claim your scholarship

Once you have passed your course census date, or probation date if you are an apprentice/trainee (your training provider will tell you what this date is), submit a scholarship claim form. The Department will process your claim form and pay your scholarship funds to you.


Training scholarship to boost nbn jobs

The State Government, in partnership with nbn, has launched a new scholarship scheme to encourage and assist Western Australians to take opportunity of hundreds of jobs attached to the rollout of the Commonwealth Government’s national broadband network. Both experienced telecommunications workers and new industry entrants are needed to fill the high skill shortage occupations, so whether you’re returning to the field or just getting started, this program may have opportunities for you.

As part of a team that installs, monitors and replaces lines, you will learn the tools of the trade from industry experts and may become a skilled telecommunications professional. While you’re working you’ll gain nationally recognised training in units of competency or a full qualification.

To find out more, visit the nbn website and find out how this program might suit you.


Statistics and the WA data standard

The Department collects and reports a range of statistical information to track engagement and measure the outcomes of vocational education and training in Western Australia. Funded training providers are required to report enrolment activity according to the rules of the Western Australian VET enrolment data standard, which incorporates the full national standard (AVETMISS for providers) plus additional State requirements.

For current reporting, view the technical specifications of the VET enrolment data standard version 8.0.B04
(updated March 2018)


VET enrolment data

The Key VET enrolment statistics report shows a summary of all training funded by or through the Department, including funding categories, age group, disability status, level of education and training provider. Please note that VET enrolment data is not directly comparable with the apprenticeship and traineeship contracts data available below – the two different data sources are not statistically compatible and should not be combined.


Student satisfaction survey

The Student satisfaction survey is used to measure the quality of service provided by Western Australia's TAFEs and to gain a better understanding of their customers and their needs.

The latest (2017) survey shows 87.3% of students were satisfied with their course. Students experienced the highest levels of satisfaction with the quality of lecturers (85.8%), how convenient the training provider’s location is (82.3%) and how likely it is that the course will lead to a job / career (81.7%).

The three most important factors when choosing where to study were the location of the training provider (31.7%); the quality of the course (10.5%); and the flexible course options (10.3%).

For more information on the student satisfaction rates, you can read the Student satisfaction survey 2017: WA State report. To request reports from previous years, please use our online enquiry form.


Apprentice and trainee contract data and reports

Apprenticeship and traineeship statistical reports are prepared in December, March, June and September of each year, and will be published on this website once noted by the Minister for Education and Training.

If you would like to see reports from previous years or periods, please email your request to

Page last updated March 08, 2017