- STEP 1: Get at least one form of ID ready, eg your driver's license, Australian passport, Medicare card, birth certificate, visa (for non-Australian passport), Immigration Card or Citizenship Certificate.
- STEP 2: Have your personal contact details ready; you’ll need address, email and/or phone number.
- STEP 3: Visit usi.gov.au and select Create a USI.
- STEP 4: Agree to the terms and conditions and follow the steps on screen.
- STEP 5: Write your new USI number down and keep it somewhere safe.
- STEP 6: Have your USI number with you when you enrol.
How to apply and enrol
Once you have decided on the course you want to do, and found a training provider that you’re happy with, the next step is to enrol in your course.
It’s a good idea to contact the training provider directly or check their website for any eligibility requirements you need to meet, and get the dates and other details for enrolling. Each of the TAFE colleges provides this information on their website, as do most private training providers.
Full time courses at WA TAFE colleges
If you're interested in studying full time at TAFE, you can find out what courses are available on our online Full time studies guide. You can also find out the entry requirements for courses, along with information such as additional selection criteria for courses which have limited places.
The guide also provides a link to TAFE Admissions where you can apply for your course online.
The Unique Student Identifier
All students are required to have a USI, and you will need to have yours organised before you can enrol. Getting a USI is easy – just follow the six steps.