Still at school?

Still at school?

If you’re currently a school student, you have the opportunity to study a nationally recognised vocational education and training qualification while still at school.

VET programs:

  • develop your employability skills (for example; communication and problem solving skills);
  • give you industry specific skills and an understanding of the world of work; and
  • help you to explore and plan your career options.

If you do a VET qualification while you are a full time secondary student, this may also count towards your Western Australian Certificate of Education.


What can I study?

There are a range of VET courses available for secondary students, and your school will have different qualifications to choose from. If you want to see what qualifications are recommended by industry for school students, take a look at the VET qualifications register for secondary students.

There are three specific VET programs funded by the Department for secondary students.

  • Aboriginal school-based training program

    The Aboriginal school-based training program is for Aboriginal students in years 10, 11 and 12. The ASBT program aims to help Aboriginal students gain the skills to keep studying after school or get a job.

    For more information, please read this ASBT fact sheet for students. (updated Dec 2017)

  • Pre-apprenticeships in schools

    Pre-apprenticeships in schools are Certificate II qualifications that can lead to a related apprenticeship. In a PAiS program you will attend school, train at an RTO, and undertake a work placement.

    This Pre-apprenticeships in schools fact sheet for students contains useful information.

  • School-based apprenticeships and traineeships

    School-based apprenticeships and traineeships are paid employment-based training programs for full time school students who are generally 15 years of age and over. In a SBA or SBT you will be a full time student and a part time employee with the same employment and training conditions and responsibilities as other apprentices/trainees.

    For more information, please see the School-based apprenticeships and traineeships fact sheet for students.


Who provides the training?

​VET can be provided by a registered training organisation,  TAFE College or private training organisation, an RTO school, or a school in partnership with an RTO.

The training may be provided at your school, off-site at another training provider or in a workplace. Some VET programs use a combination of these training options.


Need more information?

Your school career advisor or VET coordinator can help you decide which VET option is best suited for you.

You can also visit the School Curriculum and Standards Authority website if you would like to know more about how VET contributes to your WACE.

Page last updated September 12, 2017